Friday, December 19, 2008

Tadaang.. A broken toe..!!

"Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after"

I wasnt exactly thinking on those lines yesterday, when i tripped down the stairs and fell hard.
I felt the pain of "broken bones" to quote a recent post.. and more specifically "a broken bone".
I looked at my fore-foot and found my middle toe horribly twisted from its natural direction.
And I knew then..., at last, finally, this fall was heralding the first fracture in my life, in my 26th year..!

Well, I know that my mom must have celebrated the first day I crawled on my own.. or the first day I walked..
Though I missed out on those days, there is no way I am not going to celebrate this one.

After all, I had spend years waiting for the opportunity.. :D
I remember, I had nurtured an insane wish to make a historic entry into my college on my first day, on a horseback... daring and fearless.. I remember discussing with my brother about the technicalities of parking the horse in the car park, and descending from the horse using some nearby car as a ladder. It was a glorious dream..
The next best dream I had was going to school with either crutches or a sling around the arm. Fractures always had a fascination for me. Firstly, I had no idea how much it could hurt. I had only observed people from the outside. Secondly, there is always something heroic in trying to do the normal things of life, with something so visible a challenge like a fracture. I have had friends and cousins who have had gone through this. I have envied them, the fuss that people made about them. And also, there is that special dignity to which they arrive, when they tolerate the pain with a perceivable grimace.. and carry on their chores slowly but surely. Ofcourse, if you meant to greet your fracture with a loud howl, that wouldn't be the thing at all..!

I remember once, while I was in the 7th standard, I had prepared pretty well for my math exam.. It was Onam exams I think.. And, mom was dropping me and my friends, at the autorickshaw stand in Ulloor, when she took it to her head to move the vehichle forward owing to persistent honking of some darned vehchile behind us. Hmm, she moved the car forward , irrespective of the fact that I was attempting to get out and the tyre had partially gone over my foot. I was watching it with my own eyes.. too shocked to yell out.. to shocked to feel any pain.. but that was only momentary. And then, the pain began.. I knew I would miss my exams.. and I was upset, because I had prepared so well and because maths was one of my favorite subjects. But when I went to the hospital, they laid me on a stretcher and then, the novelty of the situation won over me. They laid me on a stretcher, simply because they had no wheel chairs; and the sight of a kid in school uniform on a stretcher, always attracts attention and sympathy. By the time I reached the XRAY room, I was basking in kind smiles, and I dried my tears and looked and felt the perfect saint.. It turned out to be only an ankle sprain and no fractures! But my mom's remorseful tears, and the neighbor's visits cheered me up a lot..

Today, I called up my friend, and she greeted the situation with an equal enthusiasm.. "If you confirm its a fracture, I will visit u with tonnes of rotten oranges" she assured me.. Those words were such comfort. I went to the doctor, full of hopes.. He examined the toe and gave it such lovely wrings that I was sure that, if the bones weren't broken before, they were sure to be broken now. I limped all the way to the XRAY room, grandly putting up brave airs of endurance. And the XRAY was done, and I was waiting in the lounge... While waiting, for a split of a second, I did wonder, that after having to endure all this pain, what if I were to be denied the pleasurable verdict of a fracture?!!! I dint get much time to worry, coz I was called to see the doctor, and there he showed me the XRAY of my forefoot and showed some line on the bone and said "see that.. its broken. Thats y it hurt that much".. and then he pulled at my toe a couple of times to dress it in plaster.. and finally after that ordeal, I limped my way out of the hospital..

I am to have 3 weeks of rest.. and a new story to talk about for 3 decades in future. 3 weeks of an excuse to just lie about and be lazy... 3 weeks of making big eyes at mommy, and getting her to serve me bed coffee.. And hopefully, my friend will come tomorrow with the promised rotten oranges.
Could life get any better??

(Note - My mother said its a cruel blog. No disrespect meant for people suffering from illnesses and real health issues. And I meant no blasphemy. Its just my way of laughing at myself)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah this is indeed a broken toe.

Anonymous said...

I like your broken toe.

Anonymous said...

:-) Good.Few lines on your efforts against laws of friction would have been nice..

Soorya Anwar said...

my efforts against laws of friction were practically nill.. I yielded gracefully to laws of gravitation.

newbie said...

adipoli blog soorya,
this is the first one of yours im reading....nice talnet for writing masha Allah...let me see your previous entries:)

there is one similar one of my brothers:) i ask him and send u the link...

Soorya Anwar said...

Haha.. thanx Sherna :) I love going thru pple's blog.. athu kondu blog links are most heartily welcome. :)

shehnad said...

hi soorya..am shehnad,mittu's cousin..chanced upon ur blog and am quite impressed by it.i was following it for a while, but the recent ones am not able to access..think u've blocked it..

Soorya Anwar said...

hello shehnad..
Mittu's cousin.. thats gr8 :)
I havent blocked anything as such..
I had written and published 1 or 2 blogs in bw, and then saved it to drafts, bcoz of a few reasons.. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Anonymous said...

i read the later two blogs with the help of google reader..donnno whats the mechanism...the collapse of satyam and lot of other monopolies(read:ideologies,beliefs....) made lot of people look at themselves...am not one of them though...